Number 2 position is the standard location for installation on UH-1 and UH-
60 aircrafts. For alternate installation positions refer to Data/Instruction Plates
Standard position for control panel position switch is normally placed in 2/4
position. Control Panel Position Switch is a reverse polarity switch.
6. Check Position Switch on control panel ensuring switch is in 2/4 position.
7. Ensure hoist main power cable cannon plug is safetied at junction box on hoist.
8. Cable cut switches: Down and safetied.
9. Make sure metallic shorting strip is removed from CAD.
10. Ensure cable cutter connector is attached.
11. Check recovery devices, ensuring they are functional, complete, and secure.
12. Make sure crewmembers have proper personal equipment: safety harnesses, leather gloves, and proper
13. Hoist control circuit breaker In (mission essential circuit breaker panel).
Ensure pilots cable cut switch on pedestal and hoist operator cable cut switch on
hoist control box are in the OFF position.
14. Connect GPU to helicopter.
15. Position AIRCRAFT POSITION switch on control panel to desired position.
16. Close RESCUE HOIST CONT and RESCUE HOIST POWER circuit breakers on Pilots overhead console.
Blue POWER ON light should be ON, and fan should be operating.
17. Using pendant BOOM switch, rotate boom out and in, and then out to test boom operation.
If rescue hoist is installed in position 3 or 4 (UH-1 only), ensure control panel
position switch is in number 1 and 3 positions.
18. Using Pilot's BOOM control switch, rotate boom in, and then out.
During test procedures, extend cable out from boomhead, in line with boom axis.
Avoid damaging cable on rough surfaces, such as ground. Care must be taken
not to pull cable taut around cable guide/roller, kinking of cable might result. It is
recommended that hoist cable be fed onto cable spool, or equivalent, of at least
19. Position SPEED MODE switch on control panel to HIGH.
When extending cable, operator should observe illumination of amber CAUTION
light and subsequently observe a speed deceleration to approximately 75 ft. per
minute indicating that cable has reached an extension of 240 ft.
20. Using pilots HOIST CONTROL switch, lower cable hook until all cable is out.