TOW DISABLED VEHICLE
THIS WORK PACKAGE COVERS:
Tow Disabled Vehicle, Towing Disabled M88A2, Operational Restrictions When Towing an Abrams FOV,
Description of Surveying Level, Measuring a Slope
Tools and Special Tools
Surveying level (item 26, Table 1, WP 0128 00)
18--ton shackles (2) (item 40, Table 1, WP 0128 00)
WP 0040 00
WP 0043 00
WP 0079 00
WP 0044 00
WP 0128 00
TOW DISABLED VEHICLE
1. Follow all information in WP 0040 00 to ensure safety to personnel and equipment.
2. Position M88A2 in front of or behind disabled vehicle.
3. Connect tow bar (WP 0043 00) to both vehicles.
4. Refer to disabled vehicles technical manual for specific towing instructions (gear position, final drive
disconnected, towing speed, etc).
5. Shift transmission selector to first gear to get rolling and then shift to second gear only if using tow bar and ground
These speeds are for good ground conditions. Go slower up and down hills. Do not
exceed 3 mph (5 kmph) on steep slope. Failure to comply may result in loss of con-
trol and cause damage to equipment.
6. For towing on hard, flat ground with tow bar, keep speed under 17 mph (27 kmph). When towing cross--country,
keep maximum speed under 3 mph (5 kmph). For towing on unusual terrain refer to WP 0079 00.
Verify percentage of slopes before descending and/or ascending hills. Failure to
comply may result in loss of control and cause damage to equipment.
7. For towing on slopes (uphill or downhill) use surveying level to measure slopes.
8. To steer the vehicles, use a series of short turns. This will help keep the vehicles in line.
TOWING DISABLED M88A2
1. Position recovery vehicle in front of or behind disabled M88A2.
2. Connect tow bar (WP 0043 00) or tow cables (WP 0044 00) to both vehicles.
3. Shift transmission selector in disabled M88A2 to neutral (N).
4. Do not use the disabled M88A2s brakes continuously, they will burn out.
5. Do not disconnect the final drives unless transmission problems are suspected. If transmission problems are
suspected, disconnect the final drives to prevent further damage to the transmission. If the M88A2 is going to be
towed with cables, have a third vehicle hookup with cables behind the disabled M88A2 to act as a braking unit.
Refer to FM 9--43--2 for procedures.