TOW DISABLED VEHICLE -- CONTINUED
TOWING DISABLED M88A2 -- CONTINUED
6. Do not tow the M88A2 backwards with the final drives connected. Always disconnect the final drives before
7. Do not tow the M88A2 faster than 17 mph (27 kmph) with a tow bar on level ground, or faster than 3 mph (5
kmph) with tow bar towing cables over rough ground.
OPERATIONAL RESTRICTIONS WHEN TOWING AN ABRAMS FOV
1. Use an M88A2 HERCULES Recovery vehicle as the tow vehicle.
2. Use an M88A2 HERCULES Recovery vehicle or another Abrams FOV as the braking or holdback vehicle.
3. Use crossed tow cables as the method for attaching the braking or holdback vehicle. Connect tow cables using
two 18--ton shackles to Abrams FOV towing eyes as shown. Do not connect tow cables to Abrams lifting eyes.
4. Use the tow bar provided with the M88A2 HERCULES for the tow vehicle.
5. When towing cross--country under extreme conditions, use crossed cables for both the towing and braking or
6. When properly hooked up, they should look like this:
HERCULES W/TOW BARS -- HERCULES AS BRAKING VEHICLE
HERCULES W/TOW BARS -- ABRAMS AS BRAKING VEHICLE
HERCULES W/CROSS CABLES -- HERCULES AS BRAKING VEHICLE
HERCULES W/CROSS CABLES -- ABRAMS AS BRAKING VEHICLE