OPERATE TOW BAR -- CONTINUED
CONNECTING TOW BAR -- CONTINUED
Stay out from between vehicles while M88A2 is being positioned. Failure to comply may
result in personnel being crushed.
Use two ground guides to direct operator while backing vehicle. Inadequate guidance during
backing operations may result in accidental impact causing injury or DEATH to personnel or
damage to equipment.
8. Start main engine (WP 0012 00) and back the M88A2 until lunette end of tow bar (7) is connected to towing pintle
(WP 0042 00).
9. Apply brakes, shift transmission selector lever to park (P) to lock brakes. Shut down the main engine (WP
10. Close and secure towing pintle (WP 0042 00).
11. Disconnect chain hoist and remove sling from tow bar (7).
12. Check disabled vehicles technical manual for any special towing procedures before towing.
DISCONNECTING THE TOW BAR
Make sure disabled vehicle will not move after it is disconnected from M88A2. If final
drives of disabled vehicle were disconnected for towing, disabled vehicle will not
have any brakes. Chock the towed vehicle before moving between vehicles to dis-
connect the tow bar. Failure to comply may result in movement of the disabled ve-
hicle causing injury or DEATH to personnel or damage to equipment.
1. Chock the towed vehicles.
2. Secure sling to tow bar.
3. Connect the chain hoist to sling on tow bar and lifting eye.