VEHICLE RECOVERY OPERATIONS -- CONTINUED
PAY OUT MAIN WINCH CABLE FOR DOUBLE LINE RECOVERY USING AUXILIARY WINCH CABLE
Wire rope can become frayed or contain broken wires. Wear leather--palmed work gloves
when handling wire rope. Frayed or broken wires can injure hands.
Never let wire rope slide through hands, even when wearing gloves. A broken wire could cut
through glove and injure hand.
4. Move AUX WINCH operating lever (1) to PAYOUT position.
5. Feed auxiliary winch cable through 6.5--ton snatch block on disabled vehicle, back to the front of the M88A2 and
connect it to main winch cable.
Do not move both the AUX WINCH and MAIN WINCH operating levers to INHAUL at the
same time. This may result in the auxiliary winch cable snapping which may result in injury or
DEATH to personnel.
6. Slowly move AUX WINCH operating lever (1) to INHAUL to take slack out of cable, then lock it in INHAUL detent
Start pay out of main winch cable slowly. Fast initial pay out can cause the cable to unspool.
Failure to comply may result in damage to the main winch.
7. Raise main winch lever cover and move the MAIN WINCH operating lever (2) to PAYOUT.
8. While maintaining tension, pay out 25 ft (8 m) of main winch cable then return MAIN WINCH operating lever (2)
to neutral position and payout AUX WINCH operating lever (1) until main winch cable lays on ground.