VEHICLE RECOVERY OPERATIONS -- CONTINUED
PAY OUT MAIN WINCH CABLE BY BACKTRACKING FROM DISABLED VEHICLE -- CONTINUED
Use two ground guides to aid driver in backing vehicle. Inadequate guidance during backing
operation may result in accidental impact causing injury or DEATH to personnel or damage to
9. Set engine speed to idle (825 to 875 rpm).
10. With brakes applied, shift transmission selector (3) to R.
11. Release brakes and slowly take up slack in main winch cable.
Start pay out of main winch cable slowly. Fast initial pay out can cause the cable to unspool.
Failure to comply may result in damage to the main winch.
12. After slack is removed, move MAIN WINCH operating lever (2) to PAYOUT and begin to pay out main winch
Do not increase engine speed unless necessary to continue reverse direction movement. If
engine rpm must be increased, do not over speed main winch. Failure to comply may result
in damage to equipment.
13. Continue reverse movement until slightly past previously prepared spade emplacement location.
14. Move MAIN WINCH operating lever (2) to HOLD position, apply brakes and shift transmission selector (3) to
15. Lower spade until spade touches the ground (WP 0046 00).