OPERATE M239 SMOKE GRENADE SYSTEM -- CONTINUED
Ensure that arming switch is OFF (lamp not lit) before loading or unloading grenades from
discharger. Failure to comply may result in injury or DEATH to personnel due to accidental
Never place body in front of dischargers when loading or unloading grenades or when
dischargers are loaded. Failure to comply may result in injury or DEATH to personnel due to
1. Remove grenades (4) from discharger (3) by pulling grenade (4) out with hands.
2. Return grenades (4) to metal ammunition storage boxes (6) on side of hull.
3. Install canvas covers (2) over dischargers (3) to keep out debris.
DUDS AND MISFIRES
1. Misfire. A misfire is the failure of the grenade to be launched from discharger. When a misfire occurs, make two
additional attempts to fire grenade in accordance with this work package. If grenade still remains, remove
grenade in accordance with this work package and attempt to fire grenade from another discharger barrel. If
grenade still remains, treat as a dud.
2. Duds. A dud is a grenade that has either failed to be launched from discharger or has been launched but failed to
burst. Remove dud from discharger barrel and place dud in an empty storage box as referenced in TM
9--1185--41 and dispose of in accordance with local Standard Operating Procedure (SOP). If a grenade has been
launched but failed to burst, mark location and handle in accordance with local Standard Operating Procedures
END OF TASK