STARTING MAIN ENGINE IN EXTREME COLD WEATHER +32°F TO --25°F
(0°C TO --31°C) -- CONTINUED
2. Perform engine prestart procedures (WP 0011 00).
3. Perform all BEFORE operation procedures in PMCS (WP 0101 00, Table 1).
4. Make sure steering wheel (1) is centered and locked.
5. Start APU (WP 0076 00). After following the recommended APU engine warm--up interval, move the APU GEN
switch (2) to ON and charge the main batteries for 30 minutes. The APU charges the batteries as well as adds
heat to the engine compartment. Maintain APU operation until after the main engine has started and warmed up.
6. Turn MASTER switch (3) ON.
7. Move FUEL tank toggle switch (4) to FRONT then REAR positions and check the fuel tank levels indicated on the
FUEL GAGE (5).
The engine PREHEAT switch must be engaged until the engine has started and achieved
8. Hold engine PREHEAT switch (6) to PURGE position and wait 15 seconds. This will remove air from fuel lines, if
the vehicle has been sitting for a long time, or maintenance has been performed on fuel system. It also activates
manifold air induction heater system to warm intake air before it enters engine.