THIS WORK PACKAGE COVERS:
Before Fording, Fording, Deep Water Fording, After Fording Operations
WP 0101 00
WP 0005 00
WP 0012 00
WP 0036 00
WP 0120 00
During an operation, it may be necessary to drive the vehicle through water. The depth of the water may be from a
few inches to a few feet. Normal fording (without extra equipment) is allowable up to 56 inches (142.2 cm) includ-
ing bow wave. Perform the following when fording.
1. Reel in the main winch cable until light pressure is applied between the cable clevis and the trumpet opening.
This will reduce the entrance of water.
2. Be sure the engine is fully operational.
3. Make certain the hull drain valves are closed (drain valve lever is up).
4. Make sure all hull--bottom access plates are installed, all bolts in place and tight.
Entering water deeper than 56 (142.2 cm) can allow water to spill into the engine
compartment resulting in possible engine component damage.
5. Check water depth. Do not go into water over 56 in. (142.2 cm) deep for normal fording.
1. Shift transmission selector to first gear.
2. Increase engine speed to above 950 rpm. Keep engine speed above 950 rpm.
3. Enter water slowly.
4. Keep engine speed above 950 rpm. Drive 3 to 4 mph (5 to 6 kmph) to prevent making a bow wave.
5. If you completely submerge the vehicle to a point where water enters engine compartment, keep the engine
speed up to prevent water from entering engine. Move the vehicle out of water immediately and drain engine
compartment by operating hull drain valve lever (push drain valve handle down). If engine stalls while completely
submerged, have the vehicle towed out. Send vehicle to unit maintenance as soon as possible for maintenance.
6. If it is necessary to halt the vehicle while engine is submerged, use brakes to stop the vehicle and shift
transmission selector to neutral (N). Keep engine speed at 950 to 1,000 rpm. To move again, shift to first gear
and move forward slowly at 3 to 4 mph (5 to 6 kmph). Keep engine speed above 950 rpm.
DEEP WATER FORDING
Deep water fording with the M88A2 requires installation of a deep water fording kit. With deep water fording kit
installed, the vehicle can ford to a depth of 90 in. (228.6 cm) including bow wave. Refer to WP 0005 00 for deep
water fording kit description. Deep water fording kit must be installed and checked by unit maintenance and crew.
Maximum depth of water should be known. Do not exceed a depth of 90 in. (228.6 cm). The
highest wave should not reach the opening of main engine air inlets. Exceeding this depth
may result in personnel injury or death from drowning.