RECOVERY VEHICLE, FULL TRACKED: MEDIUM, M88A1
FUEL TANKS TROUBLESHOOTING PROCEDURE
Tools and Special Tools
Fuel tanks malfunctioning.
Fuel leaking from forward fuel tank.
Do step 1.
Fuel leaking from right and/or left rear fuel tank.
Do steps 2 thru 4.
Inspect forward fuel tank for cracks or open seams. Fuel leaking thru a small crack can usually be
detected by dust clinging to the wet area.
If leaking area is accessible without removing the fuel tank:
(1) Drain the fuel system (TM 9-2350-256-20).
(2) Close fuel valves to left and right rear fuel tanks.
(3) Remove the armor cover under the hull to expose the forward fuel tank drain plug.
Remove the drain plug.
(4) Remove electric intank fuel pump (TM 9-2350-256-20).
Solvents can burn easily, can give off harmful vapors, and are harmful to skin and clothing. To avoid
injury or death, keep away from open fire and use in a well-ventilated area. If solvent gets on skin or
clothing, wash immediately with soap and water.
(5) Slush tank interior with methylene chloride or cleaning compound as specified in
TB 750-1047 to remove residual fuel, dirt, sediment, and other foreign matter. Drain and
air dry tank.
(6) Weld cracked area as required.