TOWING OPERATION -- CONTINUED
Do not exceed maximum speeds for towing with tow bar or tow cables. Failure to comply
may result in injury or DEATH to personnel or damage to equipment.
7. Towing a disabled vehicle requires use of towing pintle and tow bar (WP 0041 00). When towing a vehicle,
maintain the following speeds: 5 to 17 mph (8 to 27 kmph) (2nd gear from 5 to 12 mph) over hard, level, smooth
road or 3 mph (5 kmph) (1st gear) over hilly, cross--country ground. These figures are maximum speeds. Go
slower if towing on steep slopes or disabled vehicles technical manual specifies slower speeds. The following
precautions will be followed to ensure safety to personnel and equipment.
Do not stand between vehicles while engine(s) are running. Vehicle could jump and crush
personnel between vehicles. Failure to comply may result in injury or DEATH to personnel.
8. Vehicle engines will be shut off and brakes applied with transmission selector lever in park (P) position while any
towing device is being connected or disconnected.
9. The main gun on towed vehicles will be pointed away from the M88A2 to prevent impact in case of a collision.
10. Exhaust deflector will be placed in full--up position during towing operations.
11. An observer will be used to assist the operator during towing operations.
12. Personnel will not ride on or in a vehicle being towed with the tow bar.
13. Sharp turns or sudden stops will be avoided. Make wide gradual turns made up of many little turns in first gear.
14. The driver of the M88A2 will exercise good judgement whenever a vehicle is being towed.
15. If the transmission temperature gauge reaches 260° F (127° C), the following procedure will be carried out
regardless of terrain (i. e. level ground, slope, etc.):
Stop vehicle, set brakes and place transmission shift selector in park (P) position.
Set engine speed between 2200 and 2400 rpm. Running at high rpm will cool transmission fluid.
Maintain this position until transmission fluid temperature drops below 240° F (116° C).
Proceed with towing operation while monitoring transmission temperature gauge.
Repeat procedure as required.
END OF TASK
0040 00--3/4 blank