VEHICLE RECOVERY OPERATIONS -- CONTINUED
PAY OUT MAIN WINCH CABLE FOR DOUBLE LINE RECOVERY USING AUXILIARY WINCH CABLE
140--ton (127,120 kg) snatch block weighs 220 lbs (99.88 Kg). Use auxiliary boom to stow
and unstow. Use three people when lifting or moving. Do not lift above waist. Failure to
comply may result in injury to personnel.
9. Connect 140--ton (127,120 kg) snatch block to main winch cable by removing pin and shackle from 140--ton
snatch block and placing main winch cable in pulley of 140--ton snatch block and installing shackle and pin.
10. Disconnect auxiliary winch cable from main winch cable.
11. Connect main winch cable to M88A2 winch lug with shackle and locking pin.
Do not move both the AUX WINCH and MAIN WINCH operating levers to INHAUL at the
same time. This may result in the auxiliary winch cable snapping which may result in injury or
DEATH to personnel.
12. Attach auxiliary winch cable to 140--ton (127,120 kg) snatch block using shackle.
13. Slowly move AUX WINCH operating lever (1) to INHAUL to take slack out of cables, then lock it in the INHAUL
Start pay out of main winch cable slowly. Fast initial pay out can cause the cable to unspool.
Failure to comply may result in damage to the main winch.
14. Move MAIN WINCH operating lever (2) to PAYOUT.
15. Maintain tension on main winch cable all the way out to the disabled vehicle by varying main winch speed.
16. Return both operating levers to neutral position when 140--ton (127,120 kg) snatch block reaches disabled