VEHICLE RECOVERY OPERATIONS -- CONTINUED
PAY OUT MAIN WINCH CABLE FOR DOUBLE LINE RECOVERY USING AUXILIARY WINCH CABLE
17. Move AUX WINCH operating lever to PAYOUT to release tension on cables.
18. Disconnect auxiliary winch cable from 140--ton (127,120 kg) snatch block by removing shackle.
Use of M88A2 tow cables as a sling leg on other than M88A2 will affect included
angle of sling leg force calculation.
19. Connect disabled vehicles towing cables to each towing lug using disabled vehicles towing hooks. If disabled
vehicles towing cables are not available, use M88A2 tow cables, attaching them with 18--ton shackles to M2/M3
Family of Vehicles (FOV) or 50--ton shackles to connect to M1 FOV.
20. Connect 140--ton snatch block to tow cable sling legs using two 50--ton shackles and two 18--ton shackles. Attach
one 50--ton shackle to 140--ton snatch block ensuring shackle pin (50--ton) is toward disabled vehicle. Attach
second (50--ton) shackle to first 50--ton shackle (pin against pin). Using two 18--ton shackles attach each tow
cable to second 50--ton shackle. This provides a winch point along center line of disabled vehicle for a straight
line pull back to the M88A2.
21. Move AUX WINCH operating lever (1) to INHAUL and retrieve auxiliary winch cable keeping tension on cable.